As much as I would like to see Larry succeed in the real world, I might need to accept the fact that Larry is in dire need of psychiatric rehabilitation.
Larry believes in solitude. For instance, he defended his work ethic today. "I work on a farm. I don't read. I don't watch TV. All I do is work."
"What are your interests, your hobbies?" asked Laura, clearly unimpressed.
"Oh, I just work. I don't like to cook. I quit drinking," he replied as if his manhood was in question.
Larry's lack of cooperation prompted Laura's subsequent frustration. When Larry is discharged, he might be forced to socialize with others, to emerge from underneath the sand. It is unlikely that he will wind up on a farm and return to his old life. Larry might need to embrace the community for the first time in his adult life. My job is to develop Larry's confidence and understanding of the process of socialization.
Daniel G. sat beside Larry, and he sided with Larry during our discussion. "All Larry and I do is work. We don't have fun. We can't afford to have fun. We don't have any money." Daniel G. was upset because the state of Nebraska had taken his life away from him.
Most mental patients despise the government. I interpret the LRC as a mere roadblock. I also sympathize with Daniel G. and Larry. Call me a gullible scalawag, but the LRC is slightly comparable to prison. Neither Daniel G. nor Larry is able to earn a paycheck while confined to a mental institution. No privacy, no freedom, and very little access to sanity, the very building block of psychiatric rehabilitation.
No comments:
Post a Comment