Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The One with Separation Anxiety

I read a great article about repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) in the treatment of OCD. Research in neurology reveals patients with OCD show elevated activity in the orbitofrontal cortex, caudate nucleus, thalamus, and anterior cingulate gyrus. Conclusion: For some patients, low-frequency rTMS of the left orbitofrontal cortex produces significant but time-limited improvement in OCD compared with sham treatment.

Confronted with the stark reality of OCD, Dreadlocks lives in a world different from those around him. I would describe OCD as a series of obsessions that consume the mind and a fixed path of compulsions that interfere with everyday life. Dreadlocks, for instance, refuses to get a haircut or shave his beard. I believe OCD is the culprit here. Dreadlocks might fear something bad will happen to him once the beard is gone.

Prior to his admission to the LRC, Dreadlocks threatened his mother with a knife. Reading his chart, Dreadlocks appeared to be attached to his mother, stalking her, monitoring her whereabouts, etc. It must've been hard for her to call the cops and watch them arrest her own son.

No comments: