Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Fear Within

Today I met Daniel G. He has paranoid schizophrenia, chronic. He is taking ziprasidone and Prolixin Decanoate, a long-acting injection. On one occasion, he accused staff of witchcraft. He is paranoid about religion, often misquoting the Bible, which strikes me as ironic. Just because my girlfriend watches football with me does not imply she understands football.

Group therapy today was rather easy. Laura watched as a group of us completed an interesting worksheet called "Get Ready." Daniel G., Larry, and a third patient reluctantly participated in the activity. What I learned about them: Larry used to work on a farm, Daniel G. would soon be on welfare, and the third patient, younger than the previous two, is supposed to be discharged the following week.

Also today a female staff member was assaulted by a male patient. Marcus wanted to be transferred to Forensics, so he purposely allowed himself to get into trouble. He sent this poor woman to the hospital. While Laura and other staff physically restrained Marcus, I secured the dayroom.

No comments: