Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Catch-22

When patients become dependent, their recovery has supposedly begun. The aim of their rehabilitation is then moved from this state of external dependence to a sense of personal responsibility.

K was my own personal shadow. He followed me on the ward. He approached me from behind and tapped my shoulder. He greeted me more than once a day. Asked me about my personal life. Told me about his personal life. Said I looked like his brother. Simply put, K clung onto me emotionally. This harmless interest in me evolved into a strange obsession. All of a sudden, K stole my attention. Even if I were with another patient, K had to be within earshot of us.

This is an example of a dependent patient. For K, talking to me was more important than taking a shower or completing basic hygiene. He trusted me. He also idealized me. Projection is the product of idealization, which is triggered by decompensation. K projected primitive, grandiose feelings about himself onto me. I became his role model. The next step? For him to trust himself. K was discharged before he attached himself to me any further. I hope he is doing well, I really do.

No comments: