Ron B. committed third-degree sexual assault. Housed in my domain, Building 10, Ron B. is labeled a level-3 sex offender. Ron B. is black, with short white hair. His teeth are decayed. His squint-eyed face is forever featured on our state's online sex offender registry because, according to Laura, he attacked a woman at the local post office. The first thing I noticed about Ron B. were his hands. All ten fingers were there but no fingertips, as frostbite had claimed them the previous winter.
Ron B. is an active participant in group therapy. I would like to believe most sex offenders are capable of rehabilitation. Treatment, of course, is plentiful. Antiandrogens reduce a person's sex drive. These drugs inhibit the production of testosterone. SSRIs are also known to reduce a person's sex drive. Neuroleptics may benefit individuals with comorbid schizophrenia. I assume cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is common, primarily in Building 14:
1) Aversion therapy: unwanted stimuli, like a bad odor, are paired with the deviant fantasy.
2) Covert sensitization: the individual imagines the unpleasant consequence of a deviant fantasy, like an arrest.
UPDATE, 11/17/09:
Ron B. is no longer a resident of the LRC. He was recently discharged. To where I have no idea, but I hope he is doing well at his new home.
No comments:
Post a Comment