Monday, June 29, 2009

Beginnings

First post from a newbie. This blog is a story about psychiatry. I volunteer in a mental hospital. Not to be confused with an insane asylum. I absolutely love it. Nothing could have prepared me for what I do in Building 10 of the Lincoln Regional Center (LRC) here in eastern Nebraska.

Psychiatric rehabilitation is a gift for people who are looking for a challenge. Like me. I love to interact with friendly staff. I wouldn't say I avoid hateful staff, who despise their job and the grotesque atmosphere, but I do my best to ignore them. These people annoy me. Their job is to perform a service. Their job is not to bitch and moan on a regular basis.

Again, I enjoy my role as a volunteer. The people fascinate me. Some patients are odd while others are oddly provocative. I enjoy hearing about their lives and their problems regardless. A majority of the patients rely on me. They see me as a friend, not a staff member. My job is to instill a sense of empowerment. I give them confidence and courage. The objective is for them to become responsible human beings.

To clarify, I offer companionship and support but NOT an equal disclosure of personal information. The patients in Building 10, an all-male facility, are allowed to know my name. Probably not my address. I like to think of myself as an informal therapist, seeking knowledge as I attempt to uncover the meaning of empathy, the very core of psychiatric rehabilitation.

No comments: